Friday, February 11, 2011

Easly Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Veggies

At the Riemer home we love a nice roast in the slow cooker on these COLD days. Yesterday morning I had to go out and run the corn silo so that we could feed our corn burning pellet stove. And yes it was cold, -15 degrees to be exact. I actually thought it was a malfunctioning thermometer, but after checking multiple sources realized that it really was that cold. The whole time I was outside thinking..."yes I do love my pellet stove and oh the roast will taste good tonight!"

Here is the recipe:

1 3-4# Chuck Roast
seasoning (you can use salt & pepper, season salt, or more exciting flavors if you prefer)
1 onion
2-3 cloves garlic
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
6 medium potatoes, scrubbed, quartered and halved.
You can improvise and use whatever veggies you have on hand. I will often throw in winter squash.

1. Brown roast in cooking pot on top of the range over med heat. Season as desired. Transfer cooking pot to heating base.

2. Place vegetables around the roast. I cut slits in the roast and insert halved garlic cloves into the roast. Add 1/2 cup water. Add additional herbs to vegetables if desired. I used chives and parsley on this roast. Cover and slow cook at medium/low setting for 6-8 hours or medium setting for 5 hours. Juices that collect may be thickened for gravy if desired.


note: I always use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of all meats before eating. Beef should always be at least 145 degrees, but for a roast I like them at 160-170 degrees.

I like to serve up this roast with some crusty bread or sweet corn bread and a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment