Fall is fast approaching, but grilling season is far from over! I want to share with you some great tips to preparing a fantastic steak!
- Any steak is great for grilling! If grilling round steak, skirt or flank steak marinade at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours to ensure tenderness.
- Leave a thin layer of fat on steaks when cooking. This helps preserve juiciness. Trim any excess fat after cooking.
- Keep the grill temperature moderate. Cooking beef steaks at too high a temp. can cause the outside of the steak to char before the inside reaches the proper temperature.
- Speaking of doneness: The picture to the left show steak that is Medium Rare ~ internal temp 145 degrees F, Medium ~ 160 degrees and Well Done ~ 170 degrees. I strongly recommend using an instant read thermometer inserted horizontally into the steak. It is not recommended to consume steak that is under 145 degrees internal temp.
- Turn steaks with tongs instead of a fork. A fork pierces the beef and allows the yummy juices to escape.
- Add salt or seasonings containing salt to each side after browning. Moisture is drawn out and inhibits browning if the salt is added before cooking.