What can I say on a rainy cool August day I was inspired to write about beef stew. As a matter of fact I have the first recipe simmering right now!
Beef Stew and Veggies on the Stove Top (2 hrs 20 min)
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook beef in oil over medium heat until brown. Dissolve bouillon in water and pour into pot. Stir in rosemary, parsley and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Stir potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion into the pot. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 teaspoons cold water and stir into stew. Cover and simmer 1 hour more.
Garlic Beef Stew with Acorn Squash in the Slow Cooker (6-8 hrs)
- 2# stew meat
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 10-12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T ground marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 C chicken broth (homemade is always best)
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- In a slow cooker, top the stew meat with all ingredients except for the acorn squash and mix well.
- Cut the acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds and place directly on top of stew meat. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Scoop out the acorn squash from it's skin and serve in a bowl with stew on top of the squash!